I was going to reply to Thaddeus' post "Built for Love" but figured it was too big a response on this topic. So in the article from Thaddeus' post the topic of our 'hardwiring' towards emotional response in relationships  with robots was discussed. Of course, we human beings doing what we do in our creative pursuits have now crossed the 'mechanical sexual' threshold. In the Film 'Blade Runner' the theme concerned the rights of the 'manufactured'. One of the band of 'Replicants' was a 'pleasure model' used for 'morale enhancement' on far-flung off-world military bases. Well, we've got those now!

I became aware of these startlingly realistic 'Love Dolls' back in '97 on a production I was working on. I thought the anatomically correct 'female' dolls could be a viable substitute as 'body doubles' for actresses unwilling to do critical love or nude scenes. In the years since I have seen how these 'Real Dolls' have not only become 'companions' to people, but have sparked a whole industry of 'Android Sex Companions'! Those who have embraced this technology are called 'idollators'.

Here's a link to the Real Doll site. Be advised, it is adult material and is suggested for Mature Audiences only.

Also, here is the very informative documentary on the subject called "Guys and Dolls". It's kind of hard to watch (like watching a car wreck) in that it is an 'alternative lifestyle' most are not ready to deal with. However, it does give some great insight on the expectations that come with relationships between the 'biological' and the 'inanimate'.

Real Dolls

documentary "Guys and Dolls"

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –