Clarion Writers’ Workshop 2015 Applications Now Open

What is Clarion?

Clarion is an intensive six-week summer program focused on fundamentals particular to the writing of science fiction and fantasy short stories. Hosted on the beautiful beachside campus of the University of California, San Diego, it is the premier proving and training ground for aspiring writers of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Instructors are among the most respected writers and editors working in the field today. Over one third of Clarion graduates have been published and many have gone on to critical acclaim. The list of distinguished Clarion alumni includes Ed Bryant, Octavia Butler, Bob Crais, Cory Doctorow, George Alec Effinger, Nalo Hopkinson, James Patrick Kelly, Vonda McIntyre, Kim Stanley Robinson, Martha Soukup, Kelly Link, Bruce Sterling, Ted Chiang, and many others.

When?

June 21 - August 1, 2015

Who are the instructors this year?

Christopher Barzak

Saladin Ahmed

James Patrick Kelly

Karen Joy Fowler

Maureen McHugh

Margo Lanagan

Who can apply?

Any aspiring writer, whether unpublished or published, can apply. Scholarships, including the Octavia Butler Scholarship for students of color, are available.

When can I apply?

The application period runs from December 1, 2014 to March 1, 2015. Apply before February 1, 2015 to qualify for the lowest application fee.

What do former alumni have to say about their experience at Clarion?

"I was already a writer before I went to Clarion, but my experience there injected a dose of reality that helped me gain a new level of discipline, creativity, and execution. I cherish my time with my cohorts and I still quote the guidance I received from my amazing mentors. It was truly a transformative experience."

- Kiini Ibura Salaam (2013 Tiptree Award winner)

"Clarion was a life-changing event for me. It jump-started my writing career, gave me life-long writer friends, gave me professional writing mentors as Instructors, and introduced me to the the diversity of fellow creators in the SFF community. I owe it all to Octavia E. Butler who first told me about the program in a small L.A. bookstore during the 90's. Octavia said it made all the difference in her career. She was so right.>"

- Lisa Bolekaja

Where can I find out more?

Visit the workshop’s homepage for more information.

apply now

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –