Here's GOOD NEWS for the BSFS Fam'

For all those of us that like FREE stuff, here's a great one but it's still going require some action to really see the value other than just not having to pay for it. The UNREAL Game engine software is now free and it's an awesome opportunity to develop a game, visualization, animated short or movie intro using that tool. In addition, they are actually offering developers grants with no strings attached but the "catch" is, your project has to be in the working prototype stage BEYOND kicking around ideas or wishing you could if only... lol.

The grants start at $5k to be spent any way you want relative to the process. That's more than enough to get an updated production workstation, upgrade(s)  and the pro version of some of the free software(s) it may take to take a project beyond freebie/fanboy hobby/limited resolution output. I think you get my drift. ;-)

Here is the link: https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Through their site, you can find tutorials as well as on youtube. I personally am using this for a client project that although it's not a game per se, it will easily be able to be adapted to one later. We have a LOT of untapped , unused, underused, talent here in the society and a lot of creatives that either just dont know where to begin or have great ideas but lack the resources to get an otherwise genius idea beyond the wishful thinking or chatroom stage. This could be EXACTLY what the doctor ordered for some. It will require some actual WORK, time, and patience to see something and make something happen but anyone who is familiar with the UNREAL game engine knows it produces jaw dropping results and this is fantastic news.

I would urge anyone and everyone who is serious to take advantage of this and work with someone or others to create a team of "components", that is, complimentary skills, to collaborate and to get a project done. There is too much talent HERE in the Society to not grab this by the horns and get busy.

Here is an amazing example of what the engine can do:

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/building-unreal-paris

Good luck and hopefully, we'll see SEVERAL members here take this to the next level over the next few months!

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –