On Friday, June 3, 2016, the legendary Muhammad Ali passed away at the age of 74. As a baby boomer, I felt a deep sadness when I read the Yahoo headline that he had died after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. During the 1960s and 70s, Ali was one of the dominate voices that brought about the awakening of Black people all over America and throughout the world. During that turbulent period of our history, Ali helped me to rise up out of the grave of ignorance, low self-esteem and historical deception. He was a true hero to many of the people in my generation, as he demonstrated courage, self-respect and self-determination in and out of the ring. We loved Ali and rejoiced when he stood up for his beliefs, his defiance of white supremacy, his strong support for the Black Community and the historical significance of Black manhood. I have an enormous amount of respect for this Black Man!

He leaves behind a powerful legacy, one that will live on for generations. His battles in the boxing ring were some of the greatest fights in boxing history. He was the "People's Champ", through all of his blood, sweat and tears, and the many years he reminded us that he was "The Greatest". May he rest peace and enjoy eternal life!

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –