EXCERPT


“As soon as you’re born, you go through crap. And there’re different categories of crap. There’s general crap, like working and paying bills, puttin’ up with bad bosses, and female crap, like
having men expect you to massage their ego. And I suppose there’s male crap,
but I couldn’t tell you what it was. Maybe needing women to tell you what a
good job you did. Then there’s religious crap. Crap you go through if you’re a
Christian, Jewish, Muslim, shaman even,” !Dana@root said. She crouched on one
knee behind a bush, one eye closed, one eye viewing a copse of trees through
the sight of a crossbow.


“Shaman crap. I know that,” Krell said.


“Crap we have, D-Root, but you have to admit, we haven’t had to pay bills in a long time,” Mo-B said.


“Don’t be fooled. The government is taking taxes out of our so-called hazard pay as we speak,” 3Victoria said. “To pay for President Alkar’s war with the Ghivites.”


“And they underestimated the hazard, if you ask me,” !Dana@root said. “Gotcha.”  She released the bolt. It hissed in the air and hit the target, who had just
emerged from the copse. Blood rivuleted from his left flank and he wailed an
unholy howling, which diminuendoed to whimpering.


“He’s down!” D-root said.


 


“Looks like your boyfriend was right,” Krell said, taking off, running toward the fallen prey.


“He’s not my boyfriend!” D-root said, yelling after Krell.


The four women reached the site and dragged the prey back to the clearing. This one had been a
3-faster. Mo-B held down the boy, Sol, and wound a speckev rope around him. 

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Whoa, looks like some template technospeak accidentally inserted before that last paragraph. Was that printed? I don't have my copy yet.
Fixed, thanks.

K. Ceres Wright said:
Whoa, looks like some template technospeak accidentally inserted before that last paragraph. Was that printed? I don't have my copy yet.
My Bad. LOL
Thanks, Milton! I hate the fact that a lot of science fiction ignores/avoids religion. But faith is a large part of people's lives in the Black community. So I knew it would be accepted here.

Milton Davis said:
A clever story. I liked the blend of spiritual views. A very original piece. Good job, Ceres.
One would have to go a long way and through many anthologies, from Dark Matter to Dangerous Visions, to find a story as original and well-written as this one. From the unique premise to the interactions between the characters and the action in the plot, this one has it all. Great job, Ceres.
Coming from you, Charles, that is a deep compliment. Thank you so much.

Charles R. Saunders said:
One would have to go a long way and through many anthologies, from Dark Matter to Dangerous Visions, to find a story as original and well-written as this one. From the unique premise to the interactions between the characters and the action in the plot, this one has it all. Great job, Ceres.
Great way to tackle Hadron...topical, original and you didn't let it get in the way of character and story.
Whoa!! She does more than edit!!
I was curious about "3Victoria" and 3-faster, and D-Root as proper names...


Night Manager said:
Great way to tackle Hadron...topical, original and you didn't let it get in the way of character and story.
Whoa!! She does more than edit!!
I was curious about "3Victoria" and 3-faster, and D-Root as proper names...

3Victoria was sort of a shoutout to William Gibson's Neuromancer, where a character was named Lady 3Jane. @D-Root! is a way to demonstrate how computer language has infiltrated human language, what with people naming their babies 2.0 instead of Junior. 3-faster is not a name, but the intensity of the exorcism, requiring 3 people to fast beforehand. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.
That's awesome! Never thought of that. NICE!

K. Ceres Wright said:


Night Manager said:
Great way to tackle Hadron...topical, original and you didn't let it get in the way of character and story.
Whoa!! She does more than edit!!
I was curious about "3Victoria" and 3-faster, and D-Root as proper names...

3Victoria was sort of a shoutout to William Gibson's Neuromancer, where a character was named Lady 3Jane. @D-Root! is a way to demonstrate how computer language has infiltrated human language, what with people naming their babies 2.0 instead of Junior. 3-faster is not a name, but the intensity of the exorcism, requiring 3 people to fast beforehand. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.
Thanks! 'preciate it!



Night Manager said:
That's awesome! Never thought of that. NICE!

K. Ceres Wright said:


Night Manager said:
Great way to tackle Hadron...topical, original and you didn't let it get in the way of character and story.
Whoa!! She does more than edit!!
I was curious about "3Victoria" and 3-faster, and D-Root as proper names...

3Victoria was sort of a shoutout to William Gibson's Neuromancer, where a character was named Lady 3Jane. @D-Root! is a way to demonstrate how computer language has infiltrated human language, what with people naming their babies 2.0 instead of Junior. 3-faster is not a name, but the intensity of the exorcism, requiring 3 people to fast beforehand. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.
that first paragraph made my day
Aww, thanks!!


william landis said:
that first paragraph made my day

RSS

Badge

Loading…

IMPORTANT ALERTS

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! 

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE CHANGING YOUR PROFILE  PICTURE, SWITCH TO EITHER CHROME BROWSWER OR FIREFOX. THERE IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH INTERNET EXPLORER THAT CAUSES TROUBLE CHANGING PICTURES.


PLEASE DO NOT SIGN IN WITH FACEBOOK IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT. YOU WILL CREATE A DUPLICATE THAT WILL NOT HAVE YOUR INFO CONNECTED. THANKS

NO SPAMMING

Please do not greet everyone on the site with large images and/or announcements of your book or business. Yes, you want to tell the world, but learn the fine art of subtlety. We have lost numerous members because of the amount of 'friend' mail they instantly receive. This Hurts Everyone.

Also, DO NOT post the same information multiple times throughout the site. It will be deleted without notice.

 

Spam is unsolicited advertising, whether it is posted as comments on other members' pages or is emailed for marketing purposes.

 

Please be considerate. Post your advertisement in the proper Articles/Forum or Group. There are inexpensive marketing channels that reach every member for just $25 on the Advertising tab. You can post your information on your profile and even update your blog as often as you like.

 

We are not into censorship, so please don't make us ask you to leave. Be kind and unselfish - don't spam.

 

Your Account Will Be Deleted Without Warning For Spam.

 

Blog Posts

A Slight Chance of Antimatter...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on December 14, 2017 at 6:23am 0 Comments

A Kyoto University-based team has unraveled the mystery of gamma-ray emission cascades caused by lightning strikes. Credit: Kyoto University/Teruaki Enoto

Topics: Modern Physics, Particle Physics, Research, Weather

A storm system approaches: the sky darkens, and the low rumble of thunder echoes from the horizon. Then…
Continue

America after World War I

Posted by Natalie Peralta on December 13, 2017 at 8:00am 0 Comments

Changes in America after World War I

            World War I (WWI) is an influential occurrence that had a great impact in the social, economic and political environment of the United States of America. However, as I was writing for one essay writing serviceunderstanding these impacts also requires an analysis of the period preceding this war. Between 1905 and 1915, America relied on the debts they collected from the international capital markets.[1] Politically, the country adopted an isolationist foreign policy so as to conquer other countries such as Cuba and the Philippines. Socially, the country had good relations with Europe but it remained feared by other countries. These situations changed after the war. This paper analyses the social, political and economic situations in America after WWI showing that the war had both negative and…

Continue

Darkest Black...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on December 13, 2017 at 5:30am 0 Comments

Image Source: CNET: Sci-Tech

Topics: Carbon Nanotubes, Materials Science, Nanotechnology, Optics…

Continue

The Arrow of Time...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on December 12, 2017 at 5:00am 0 Comments

Schematic of the experimental setup. (A) Heat flows from the hot to the cold spin (at thermal contact) when both are initially uncorrelated. This corresponds to the standard thermodynamic arrow of time. For initially quantum correlated spins, heat is spontaneously transferred from the cold to the hot spin. The arrow of time is here reversed. (B) View of the magnetometer used in our NMR experiment. A superconducting magnet, producing a high…
Continue

The Digital Brothers Multimedia

The Digital Brothers
Our goal is to provide cost effective technological solutions for home, small and big business. After over 20 years of service working in this field, we decided to utilize our talents to develop and cultivate our own vision to benefit the community.
2D & 3D Animation
Graphic & Web Design
Photo & Video
Multimedia Development
Online & Print Marketing

Contact Us Today To Assist In Your Business Success
Website: www.TheDigitalBrothers.com
Email: info@thedigitalbrothers.com

SKYCITY TALKRADIO

THE UNDERGROUND BY ROXANNE BLAND

Life as alpha of a werewolf pack is anything but predictable. But even Parker Berenson is surprised by the latest twist: he’s fallen in love with a space alien. Problem is, he suspects Melera, his sexy new flame, might be the serial killer terrorizing Seattle. Or maybe she isn’t. After all, just because she’s an interstellar assassin doesn’t mean she’s guilty.

http://blackrosepress.com/

© 2017   Created by Jarvis Sheffield - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service