Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, Women's Rights
Harris-Stowe State University
Harris–Stowe State University is a historically black, public university located in midtown St. Louis, Missouri. The University is a member-school of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. Harris–Stowe State University established in 1857 & their nickname is Hornets. Their colors are black and white and their motto is Affordable, Accessible, Diverse.
We firmly believe that individuals who serve in the military enhance our campus, so we work very hard to ensure that their college experience is a superior one.
It is our goal to help members of the military and their families understand the many options available for funding a college degree. For example, combat veterans who were a Missouri resident when they entered the military may wish to take advantage of the Returning Heroes Act, which allows qualified individuals to take courses for as little as $50 per credit hour. We can also help veterans and qualified family members utilize available resources such as the Montgomery GI Bill, REAP, Vocational Rehabilitation Program, Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program or the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
You have provided a great service to your country. Let us have the opportunity to provide a great education to you!
Hinds Community College, Utica
Hinds Community College, established 1917, is a community college with its main campus located in Raymond, Mississippi, about five miles west of Jackson, the state capital. With an enrollment of nearly 12,000 students at six campuses, it is the largest educational institution in the state, a rarity among community colleges. It’s nickname is the Eagles and the University is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and the Mississippi Junior College Athletic Association. Their colors are maroon and white and their motto is The College for All People.
Hood Theological Seminary
Hood Theological Seminary is a graduate and professional school sponsored by the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (A.M.E. Zion) and dedicated to the education and preparation of men and women for leadership in the various ministries and vocations of the Christian church.
The Seminary bears the name of a renowned bishop of the denomination, James Walker Hood, who inspired others in the denomination to join with him in creating an institution for the training of Negro youths for the Christian ministry. In 1879 those pioneers created the Zion Wesley Institute in Concord, NC. Three years later, by invitation of the citizens of Salisbury, they relocated the Institute to this city. Under the leadership of its first president, Dr. Joseph Charles Price, the Institute was chartered by the State of North Carolina in 1887 and renamed Livingstone College in honor of Scottish physician and explorer of central and southern Africa, Dr. David Livingstone.
Hood obtained independence from Livingstone College in 2001 and became a free-standing seminary with its own Board of Trustees. Dean Albert J. D. Aymer was appointed and inaugurated as its first President.
Since 1867, Howard has awarded more than 100,000 degrees in the professions, arts, sciences and humanities. Howard ranks among the highest producers of the nation's Black professionals in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, engineering, nursing, architecture, religion, law, music, social work and education.
The University has long held a commitment to the study of disadvantaged persons in American society and throughout the world. The goal is the elimination of inequities related to race, color, social, economic and political circumstances. As the only truly comprehensive predominantly Black university, Howard is one of the major engineers of change in our society. Through its traditional and cutting-edge academic programs, the University seeks to improve the circumstances of all people in the search for peace and justice on earth.
Howard has grown from a single-frame building in 1867 and evolved to more than 89 acres, including the six-story, 400-bed Howard University Hospital. Since 1974, it has expanded to include a 22-acre School of Law West Campus, a 22-acre School of Divinity East Campus and another three-fifths of an acre facility in northeast Washington and a 108-acre tract of land in Beltsville, Maryland.
Howard prepares men and women to advance social justice and the preservation of human liberty. In each of its 13 schools and colleges, Howard University seeks to develop technically competent and morally committed individuals.