I am beginning a writers meet up, similar to what you can find locally in your area via meetup.com. Difference in our meet up we are going to do it from the comfort of your home through Google Plus Hangouts. If you are not familiar with Google Hangouts see the links below prior to joining our meetup

We are going to meet Tuesday evenings. The meet up will run for 3 hours. Most writer meet ups max out at 1.5. Why are we going twice the maximum time? It allows us the ability to service more people in more time zones during a single event. 

GMT          12:00 AM - 3 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING (For the international English speaking community) 

Eastern       7 - 10pm 

Midwest     6 - 9pm

Pacific        4 - 7pm

Where? Online in a Google hangout. The hangout will be titled Gray Sky Writers Meetup. It will NOT be a Live Hangout. I request that the rights of other be respected and you refrain from recording, as the statements, comments and audio read aloud are the proprietary works of individual writers

This meetup is for those African American writers that are in areas where writing meetups do not echo what you are looking for in a group. It is for that writer that needs some focus getting the words on the page, often have I sat down and become distracted by the internet, a piece of music, or just some idle distraction in my house. Nonetheless, I feel that being in a digital cubicle being able to look up and see other writers writing, can be the impetus to help move you forward in your works. If you are having a difficult time finding time to write then follow these steps   

The rules are easy to follow: 

Be prepared to write when you come to the meet up 

Introductions if needed. If you are not speaking to the group be willing to mute your microphone out of respect for others. It also limits background noise from filtering into the conversation causing extemporaneous distractions. 

Write for 45 minutes. The moderator will poll the group checking to see if anyone is interested in sharing what they have written. If yes, a maximum of four writers will be allowed to share. Limit your reading to three minutes allowing for 1 minute of response from each guest that wish to respond. Participation is not required during the review session, but it is appreciated. 

During the review session, please, keep in mind that many writers are at different development stages and skill levels than you. Be respectful, courteous and keep encouragement in your comments. If you feel the words "I don't meant to... but" forming on your lips keep your mouth shut and don't do it.   

If you are reading an excerpt from your writing tell us what feedback you are looking for from the group. This allow us to tailor our response to your specific needs, giving you the best possible help that we can render at that time. 

Requirements: 

The desire to write more and work on your craft

Computer with access to the internet 

Microphone

Camera 

Knowledge of how to operate all of the above prior to the beginning of the meetup 

This hangout requires that you both your camera and microphone be functional, if either is not functional please attend at another time when they are working properly.  This is a writers hangout not a fashion show. 

You will need to know and understand how the Google Plus/Chat/Talk/Hangout environment works on your computer before you get into the hangout. Take a half an hour with a friend and learn what you need to know. If you are new to Google Hangouts be warned LIVE HANGOUTS are broadcast on YouTube like live television for the world to see as it happens  

Facts about Google Plus https://www.google.com/+/learnmore/features.html

Facts about Google Chat/Talk http://www.google.com/talk/whatsnew_more.html  or  

https://support.google.com/chat/#topic=4509880

Facts about Google Hangouts https://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts/   

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –