Greetings to you family. I'm looking to order some comics and chapter books for my six year old son. He reads at about a third, maybe fourth, grade level and is devouring anything he can get his eyes on. I did a few searches and came up with at least one book that looks promising (the thread was talking about how Harry Potter fans would dig it; we haven't read HP but we do love magic/sorcery etc. and such) but I'd love some comic recs too. If there's a thread for comics for kids that I'm missing I'd be happy to be pointed in the right direction. I really appreciate any suggestions. Hmm, I hear fighting children, must run! Sorry to post and bolt!

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh! Real quick, older than third or fourth grade is fine as well. Thanks so much!

Wow, what a fun age for a son, my oldest son is 22 next month, but my youngest is 13. My youngest was into Sonic at that age 6. You can find Sonic books in the Manga section. He stayed with Sonic until around 5th grade. He even got a bunch of the plush toys and would make movies on our sell phones. Mom wouldn't let him post them on utube... but he wanted to.  We also got the Wii games and anything else that had Sonic on it. The toys are still in the house, but they are only used to collect dust.

I would suggest Tiny Titans from DC Comics. It's fun, silly stuff for kids, staring all the Teen Titans they might remember from the cartoon a while back. Or, um right now. They've brought them back in shorts on Cartoon Network. Very funny stuff, even for adults.

For kids who are a bit older, there is Princless, which is about a black princess who is tired of the same old damsel in distress life that she and her sisters have to live. I think it's a bit dark, but if your kid is at least 10, I think they can handle it. I've read 2 issues, and it's phenomenal. An Eisner nominee!

Also for kids who are a bit older is the Young Justice Book, based on the cartoon on Cartoon Network.

Oh, manga! Naruto is an easy recommendation. I don't know what's on the shelf now, but shounen (young boys) is made for all ages. A manga I can recommend for young boys AND girls is Yotsuba. (yenpress.com/yotsuba/#V1 I) just started reading it, and I'm already at 7 volumes. It's a few years old, so maybe you'll find it at the library, like I did.

if you're looking for independent comics that feature heroes of color that are also kid friendly, check out my series, Dread & Alive!

http://www.dreadandalive.com

There are six issues available as well as an assortment of cool posters to hang on the wall.

There's also a chapter book, which will be available next friday (2nd print run).

You can check out the Facebook fan page here:

http://www.facebook.com/dreadandalive.com

Take care, my friend! 

Check out my Mama's Boyz: The Big Picture

http://mamasboyz.com/products/index.html 

It's based on my syndicated comic strip. I use the ol' Fat Albert method of using humor to teach life lessons. I get great response from kids AND parents.

Also, will have a chapter book called Khalil's Way in about 2 weeks and another next month "Who Would Have Thunk It" and another the following month "The Offenders."

Hit me up if you have any questions:

jerrycraft@aol.com

Greetings:

Just more information for You, to know what we have been/are up to.

We are ®Reece ENTERPRISES/©REECENETRICS™/®FAMILY MEDIA COMPANY™/©TDM Comics International; a small but slowly/Strategically growing group of Companies, Creating Comics, and Entertainment Products & “Brands” geared Towards the World Wide Diverse People, of many Cultures and Nations to “spread the love of Positive Images for peoples of All Colors, World wide!”
Our Comics Books have Different Strategic Designs, as Our Own Special ways of Supporting Literacy, Reading, and The ARTS & Libraries of Education.
*1. OUR BOOKS ARE SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN THE TRADITIONAL comic book, specially designed to carry a better bleed page Images area.
*2. Our Comics Books have Strategically placed pages from the novel, scattered through out the books, to give our readers better understanding of the plots and scenes as they unfold with the on-going series, and episodes. And This helps in Keeping with our partnerships with the American Libraries Association, and Schools.
*3. Our Comics Books are specifically designed with laminated, or better stock pages of paper, for longer lasting, and quality, thus for safer keeping and “Collector's” best chosen type page imagery.
WITH our TDM Comics International, we utilize Celebrity Character pro-Filers, who allow us to utilize their likenesses for our Super Heroes. On my Facebook page, at the top, and You will see the soon to be released 1st issue, Heritage-Historical Collector's edition, of "G.i.J.i.M.O.M." an all female, all Special Forces Super Heroines Futuristic world wide  Unit. ...they are from left to right:   Lonette Mckee (Actress/model/Producer/Singer/Writer), Brandee Wayans (Actress/Model, of the world famous Wayans family), Diedra Wayans (Brandee's Mom, and the older Sister of the Wayans family), and Dianne Sullivan (Actress/Model). THEY ARE HHOOTTT!! Sexy, Classy, Strong, yet Loving, Powerful, smooth, and Super Heroines, fighting to help keep the world safe from the growing Sci-fi Futuristic threats of Super Criminals. They are Top Secret Units tapped by our Futuristic president, B.O. (a Sci-fi Character who is a cross between Barack Obama, and Morgan Freeman)  
Comics Book Stores and Book Stores can:
Register to order-reorder our ®Reece ENTERPRISES/
©REECENETRICS™/®FAMILY MEDIA COMPANY™/©TDM Comics International “Brands” and Comics from our best publishing partner; http://www.comixpress.com/...ComiXpress
P.O. Box 434
Dumont, NJ 07628
United States
I am Honored to be Your Friend: we "HONOR" WOMEN & MOMS, and MILITARY Females with our up-coming "G.i.J.i.M.O.M." Series: http://thesiborg.com/ http://familymediasite.com/ http://tdmcomics.com/, http://theemma.org/
Title:
L.A.Z.E.R.U.S.--The man Made Super Hero
Print Type:
Stapled Book
Size:
Zine (8" x 10.5")
Cover:
Full color, inside and outside covers
Pages:
Color Pages
Page Count:
Genre:
Action/Adventure
Description:
Based upon the Novel called "the L.A.Z.E.R.U.S. project, this Graphic/Comic Novel is revised, as a True Graphic Comic Series, to bring fun, excitement, and imagination to all who can open their minds to its creative Science-Fiction possibilities. L.A.Z.E.R.U.S. cannot be burned away – Steam rises into the air to become moisture. (He can be resurrected.) L.A.Z.E.R.U.S. cannot be frozen away – Too much moisture again. (He can be resurrected.) Trying to gun down or blow up L.A.Z.E.R.U.S. is useless – His restructuring molecular zenoplasmic structure will only change to a “FLAMED-ON” version of himself. L.A.Z.E.R.U.S. has only one weakness...

G.i.J.i.M.O.M.
Stapled Book
Zine (8" x 10.5")
Full color, inside and outside covers
Color Pages
Superhero
©G.i.J.i.M.O.M. A UNIQUE SPECIAL FIGHTING FORCE OF MULTI-HEROIC WOMEN, WHO CHOSE TO DEDICATE THEIR LIVES AND SACRIFICED MUCH FOR THE BETTERMENT OF HUMANKIND, WORLD WIDE, G.= Girls Going I.= International for J.= Justice and I.= Investigative M.= Mothers O.=ON M.= Major M.= Missions ©COPYRIGHT APRIL 1, 2011 TERRY ALLEN REECE, AKA “the Warrior”

theemma.org
"The More TRUE Social-Networking Place to LIVE!"

Terry Reece, aka “the Warrior” Super Hero
Founder/Chairman/CEO
Writer/Copywriter/Creator of The Closet Cove and the L.A.Z.E.R.U.S. project, and the "G.i.J.i.M.O.M." Series Brand  
warrior_75210@yahoo.com

are you looking for "adult themes"such as Harry Potter that are being marketed to/for younger children or do you want referrals to what are books for children in your child's age group? Are you looking for some life lessons that children at a young age can absorb as a foundation or do you want the stuff that currently is being marketed and targeted toward children that is NOT suitable for real young people in the ages below 10 but that this society is hell-bent on getting our children to ingest? I work with several publishers of childrens books and if you want some more appropriate books and a VARIETY of things and lessons besides "Harry Potter' and Teen Vampires, I can connect you...

Check out http://www.pragmaticmom.com/

Her site has tons of book listings and are categorized by age/grade or reading level.

When comes to comics my daughter checks out the Viz Media site. You can also go to Scholastic Books website and their site has it categorized by reading level and grade.

Check out http://www.mycomicshop.com it's favorite comic shop and they are very kid friendly.

And libraries now are carrying more manga and comics than ever. We homeschool so the library is our best friend. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations everyone! About to check these out now...

@Admin: Yep, that's the first thing I did was search the "Kids" section here lol :-). I saw both of the direct links you have listed. That's how I found the one book I mentioned. Thanks for your input!

@Nicholas: "if you're looking for independent comics that feature heroes of color that are also kid friendly, check out my series, Dread & Alive!" Yes, that's precisely what I'm looking for! Specifically Black/African (whatever we want to call it) heroes. I guess I should have specified this but in my haste I assumed that ya'll could read my mind lol. Lovin' the looks and feel of what you have on your site. Thanks!

@Tony: Is HP adult-themed? How so? We've never seen any of the movies or read the books so I'm not sure how to gauge the content. I'm assuming it's not overtly sexual or over the top violent as young children do read the stories? Adult-themed to me would be some of the stuff I used to watch as a kid (we were huge on sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies in my house growing up) like "Halloween", "Dawn of the Dead", stuff like that (I saw Halloween at 5 or something like that :-p Loved it and was terrified by it all at the same time lol). One of the first sci-fi books I remember reading was Interstellar Pig and I loved it. I'm thinking books and comics kinda on that level but starring us. I'm having difficulty finding such items but hope to stock up at Onyxcon :-D

@Liz: Yes, we homeschool as well and practically live in the library lol. I still have issues finding what I have in mind. Everything we pick up seems to try to lock us down into the "freed slave" reality and that's some bull**** frequency I'm not even on. Even if we could find comics that are along the lines of what we want here I'd rather buy them because with a two year old as well in the house, well, they'd get trashed in seconds (not as sturdy as books). Ask me how I found out! *destroyed Popular Science mag cough, cough* Thanks so much for your recs!

We don't have cable or anything and tend to be pretty far out of the loop with whatever the new "thing" is lol. Even when we find out what folks are reading/watching we're just like "Meh..." Absolutely making our own reality. Bless and thanks again all :-)

as i'm not in league with you heavy hitters, i am in the process of working on a comic character that will hopefully appeal to pre-teens and teenagers of all ethnicities. it'll be a short while before it's launched.

Flight LIne! Part of the Comic Shooter Snack Book series. Check it out site here:

https://sites.google.com/site/gtbfilezcomicshootersnackbook/

Coming soon. Going to show love to the brothas. Show love to the sistas and their unique body types and yeh they're "Extra Humans"(super heroes).

Enjoy the look around. Download all you want at the different pages.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

IMPORTANT ALERTS

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! 

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE CHANGING YOUR PROFILE  PICTURE, SWITCH TO EITHER CHROME BROWSWER OR FIREFOX. THERE IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH INTERNET EXPLORER THAT CAUSES TROUBLE CHANGING PICTURES.

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN IN WITH FACEBOOK IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT. YOU WILL CREATE A DUPLICATE THAT WILL NOT HAVE YOUR INFO CONNECTED. THANKS

NO SPAMMING

Please do not greet everyone on the site with large images and/or announcements of your book or business. Yes, you want to tell the world, but learn the fine art of subtlety. We have lost numerous members because of the amount of 'friend' mail they instantly receive. This Hurts Everyone.

Also, DO NOT post the same information multiple times throughout the site. It will be deleted without notice.

Spam is unsolicited advertising, whether it is posted as comments on other members' pages or is emailed for marketing purposes.

Please be considerate. Post your advertisement in the proper Articles/Forum or Group. There are inexpensive marketing channels that reach every member for just $25 on the Advertising tab. You can post your information on your profile and even update your blog as often as you like.

We are not into censorship, so please don't make us ask you to leave. Be kind and unselfish - don't spam.

Your Account Will Be Deleted Without Warning For Spam.

Blog Posts

February Fifteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 15, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Image Source: Lawson State Community College (link below)

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, Women's Rights

Knoxville College…

Continue

Apathy, Crises and Zappa...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 15, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Image Source: Five Thirty Eight blog

Topics: Civics, Civil Rights, Existentialism, Politics

So what exactly is a constitutional crisis? We should be clear about what does — and, more importantly, does not…
Continue

February Fourteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 14, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Johnson C. Smith - The Division of Government Sponsored Programs and Research inducted seven students into its Ronald E. McNair Scholars program. This year’s theme is “Defying Gravity: Launching Scholars Academic Success.”

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, Women's Rights

Jarvis…

Continue

Semper Fidelis...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 14, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Topics: Mars, NASA, Opportunity, Planetary Exploration, Spaceflight

NASA's Opportunity Mars rover was built to operate for just 90 days, but kept going for 15 years. NASA officially declared it dead on Wednesday, and its last message to scientists before it went dark eight months ago is getting a lot of attention.

The rover spent a decade and a half sending data bursts, not words, but according to…
Continue

February Thirteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 13, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Huston-Tillotson University

Huston–Tillotson University is a historically black university in Austin, Texas, United States. The school is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, the United Church of Christ, and the United Negro College Fund. Huston–Tillotson University established in 1881. The University is a member of the Red River Athletic Conference (RRAC). Their colors are maroon and white & their…
Continue

Anthony "Tony" Mitchell...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 13, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Anthony "Tony" Mitchell

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Electrical Engineering, NSBE

“The 2019 BEYA Selection Committee, supported by the Council of Engineering Deans of Historically Black Colleges and Universities and our lead sponsor Lockheed Martin Corporation, have invested in me the authority to…
Continue

The Talented Tenth Saga----PLEASE DONATE

Posted by Christopher Love on February 12, 2019 at 9:17pm 0 Comments

The Talented Tenth Saga will be an 8 issue, limited run comic book series and film.  This series is unique for many reasons.

• First of all, it will feature real people versus hand drawn or CGI characters. This is why actors and actresses will be sought.
  • Secondly, the main characters in the world of The Talented Tenth Saga will be diverse as the world we live in.
  • And lastly, all 8 issues will be given out for free and can be read at beauty shops, barber shops, schools, libraries and other organizations in local communities starting in Madison County, Alabama and beyond. The film will be uploaded to YouTube and other platforms for free to enjoy and view.

The comic book can be downloaded on IndyPlanet.com

Please support this project.

https://www.ioby.org/project/talented-tenth-saga

Everyone Deserves Heroes That Look Like THEM…

Continue

February Twelve...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 12, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Image Source: Howard University Instagram

Harris-Stowe State University…

Continue

Dr. Mark Dean...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 12, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Dr. Mark Dean - Biography.com

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Computer Science, Education, Electrical Engineering

Computer scientist and engineer Mark Dean is credited with helping develop a number of landmark…
Continue

February Eleven...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 11, 2019 at 5:44am 0 Comments

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. visits Fort Valley State College, 1966. Pictured standing next to President Troup (middle).

Fort Valley State University…

Continue

The Digital Brothers Multimedia

The Digital Brothers
Our goal is to provide cost effective technological solutions for home, small and big business. After over 20 years of service working in this field, we decided to utilize our talents to develop and cultivate our own vision to benefit the community.
2D & 3D Animation
Graphic & Web Design
Photo & Video
Multimedia Development
Online & Print Marketing

Contact Us Today To Assist In Your Business Success
Email: info@thedigitalbrothers.com

THE UNDERGROUND BY ROXANNE BLAND

Life as alpha of a werewolf pack is anything but predictable. But even Parker Berenson is surprised by the latest twist: he’s fallen in love with a space alien. Problem is, he suspects Melera, his sexy new flame, might be the serial killer terrorizing Seattle. Or maybe she isn’t. After all, just because she’s an interstellar assassin doesn’t mean she’s guilty.

http://blackrosepress.com/

© 2019   Created by Jarvis Sheffield - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service