Dear Friend,
Yesterday, the day after President Obama signed his stimulus bill into law, the NY Post ran a cartoon depicting the bill's "author" as a dead monkey, covered in blood after being shot by police. You can see the image by clicking on the link below.

In the face of intense criticism, the Post's editor is standing by the cartoon, claiming that it's not about Obama, has no racial undertones, and that it was simply referencing a recent incident when police shot a pet chimpanzee. But it's impossible to believe that any newspaper editor could be ignorant enough to not understand how this cartoon evokes a history of racist symbolism, or how frightening this image feels at a time when death threats against President Obama have been on the rise.

Please join me and other ColorOfChange.org members in demanding that the Post apologize publicly and fire the editor who allowed this cartoon to go to print:

http://www.colorofchange.org/nypost/?id=2822-580602

The Post would have us believe that the cartoon is not about Obama. But on the page just before the cartoon appears, there's a big picture of Obama signing the stimulus bill. A reader paging through the Post would see Obama putting pen to paper, then turn the page to see this violent cartoon. The imagery is chilling.

There is a clear history in our country of racist symbolism that depicts Black people as apes or monkeys, and it came up multiple times during the presidential campaign.

We're also in a time of increased race-based violence. In the months following President Obama's election there has been a nationwide surge in hate crimes ranging from vandalism to assaults to arson on Black churches. There has been an unprecedented number of threats against President Obama since he was elected, with hate-based groups fantasizing about the killing of the president. Just a week ago, a man drove from Louisiana to the Capitol with a rifle, telling the police who stopped him that he had a "delivery" for the president.

There is no excuse for the Post to have allowed this cartoon to be printed, and even less for Editor Col Allan's outright dismissal of legitimate concerns.

But let's be clear who's behind the Post: Rupert Murdoch. Murdoch, the Post's owner, is the man behind FOX News Channel. FOX has continually attacked and denigrated Black people, politicians, institutions at every opportunity, and ColorOfChange has run several campaigns to make clear how FOX poisons public debate.

I don't expect much from Murdoch. However, with enough public pressure, we can set the stage for advertisers and subscribers to think long and hard before patronizing outlets like the Post that refuse to be held accountable.

You can help, by making clear that the Post's behavior is unacceptable, and by asking your friends and family to do the same. Please join me:

http://www.colorofchange.org/nypost/?id=2822-580602

Thanks.

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dunno if you can sign if you're not from the US; I didn't see any way of giving an address in England. But I don't see how they can pretend it's not Obama; the refence couldn't be clearer. It's not just the monkey image, it's also a reference to lynching, and could be seen as incitement to murder.
Co-sign. And aside from being blatantly disrespectful to our President and racist it's cruel. The lady who was attacked is in critical condition; and we nearing double digit inflation. Where's the joke in this?
Not only is the Post cartoon 'racist' it is absurd and ignorant.If you believe the Darwinian version nof how homosapiens evolved on planet earth then you must--I repeat 'must' view human evolution through the lens of anthropological research.
Science now realise that human culture and the human specie evolved out of Africa.We know that because of carbon-14 dating of the female-proto-human discovered in Africa named LUCY.Her skeletal remains date back 1.5 mil years ago.The MOTHER of all mothers.When you are trying to discover your genealogical history via DNA --you target the mitocondrial DNA(maternal).Anthropologists have discovered from LUCY that all races DNA
traces back to LUCY.
Which means we are all AFRICAN.The first humans to walk on planet earth were Africans.Europeans migrated(because of continental drift) to Europe.But science has proven again through random DNA sampling that the proto-humans(cro mags that migrated to Europe) were less developed and had more kinship with 'chimps(primates than human.That is why they are extinct.If you make a random sampling of DNA in all the races you will find traces of LUCY'S DNA.African DNA is the oldest in the world.
Which translates into this:In terms of human evoulution Europeans are closer to the primates (Chimps) than Africans on the evolutionary scale..Homopsapiens did not evolve out of Europe.Africa is the cradle of civilization and the birthplace of the human specie.
When I was young and went to the beach here in Chicago--I was shocked at how'hairey' the European race is.In closing I don't know of any 'black ' people that would let a chimp live in their home(except weird MIchael) which the Post stated the 'racist cartoon was based on.
FINIS
Just because we have a Black president doesn't mean that racism will stop. In fact, things will get more crazy.
The proof of this, is the cartoon that you just posted. Of course, you might have heard of the racist attack
on a Black Family as soon as President Obama was swore in. This "White" person shot a baby in the face.
And in Africa a few days later, a white man did the same thing and they only gave him life in prison.
I think what we have to do as a society is engage in intelligent dialogue about racism and try to uproot it. Destroy it. It's a disease and it was created by lies and oppression. I never believed racism would end with a Black president. I don't think any us of did. But the fact that American put a Black man in office is testimony to us as a nation making progress.
Rather than being divided by racist commentary like this, those of us with intellect and humanity should remain steadfast -- cause that's how Obama got to office in the first place. Let's not forgot Black folks didn't put him in office by themselves: a whole lotta folks of different races went to the ballot box.
And a heap of them are as pissed off by this cartoon as we are. Cause that's their president too.
In NY the post is our city's worst news paper. the only reason it makes money is because it is a REPUBLICAN paper and it is the cheapest at 25 cents. When ever there i a tragic event in the black community the post is 1st to display horrorable pictures. 2 yeaars ago a blackman was shot dead in the streets with a head wound and the post printed in full color the mans face with a pool of blood behind it. When it comes to black celebrities they have no mercy a few months ago they printed in full color MILLIONARE P-DIDDY STEPPING OUT OF HIS RIDE AND STEPPING INTO A PILE OF SH#T if that was Donald Trump they would have editted the picture. But not Diddy they showed the acident shot by shot with p-Diddy reaction of looking down at his shoe. There was no need to write a nasty comment about it, the picture said it all about how they felt about him. Every black man woman and child in NEW YORK KNOWS ABOUT THE POST AND TO THIS DAY THE NEW YORK POST IS NYC 2ND MOST READ NEWSPAPPER AFTER THE DAILY NEWS. The NY times is the city's best but it is to big and takes at least 2 days to read a single edition .
i always knew barrack's presidency would bring out the true whiteman. this is what they hide behind those fake smiles. in their hearts they believe we are what's wrong with the country. so why would you smile at me? it HAS to be fake!!! we need to know that these kinds of things WILL increase AND get worse. remember there were 57 million people who DIDN'T vote for obama. this devil just went from overt to covert. what's the deep signifigance of this depiction? are they suggesting an assassination of the president? had an artist done this about bush,clinton or regan would it have been taken so lightly? they aren't even man enough to stand by their work. and whites of course will say it's not racist. the so called"good"whites stand by and watch racism take place,so it makes them just as guilty. if i stand by and watch a rape take place and do nothing,i'm just as guilty. they see the most blatant racism and still deny it. people can protest,i guess. but what will it change? we're going to go to satan to report the devil? i don't care what kind of pictures these beasts draw,i can draw pics too. i'm concerned about a slick,serrupticious plot to kill our brother.
Last gasp of a dying order!!

The racists can hate, but they will not obstruct!!

I used to go toe to toe with the lowest common denominator of their ilk online. They are like shriveled leaves scattering in the winds of change!!

They will not hinder the march of black progress!!

All the degrading cartoons in existence will not slow the revolution!!

LONG LIVE SCIENCE FICTION!!

DOWN WITH RACIST TRASH!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Truth be told you guys. That’s really something Jervis. As an aside note, Woah, I wouldn’t want to be cussed out by Sundjata: “the lowlife son of a motherless camel tick;” That stings (smile---no pun intended).

They know very well that this is racist. They know all too well the origins of these type slanders, and of course and of course, this is why they did it. In law, knowledge can definitely amount to evidence of intent. Not to mention aforethought.

Questions to be asked them. Well, did you have time to ponder ? Did it ever occur to you that someone may take this as racist ? Tell me, so you are saying that a black man being depicted as a monkey was not interpreted by you as being racist ? Have you never heard of this as being racist ? So you have. So why then did you depict this in this manner ? Did it ever occur to you that black people might be offended ? Did you care ? There are even a great many laws in which one can not claim innocence by right of ignorance, and then there is recklessness, a lesser form of intent, but still a crime----you didn’t particularly care about the possible consequences one way or another.

I would say that these bigots are without power at this point; there is indeed a black president and they are indeed desperate. But I would also say that the flip side of this coin is that they feel that there will be no repercussions. This has just been in the air for so long now, that they can, because there will be no repercussions. I hope that more than the intellectuals on this site are watching this. I hope that black people watching will indeed realize that these are the very type people who hung people from trees and that they are alive and well. We must climb out of this role of passivity that we have assumed. This role that is projected in so many ways, in so many forms, but always amounts to the same thing, passivity.

Sometimes, I got so angry that I said I would vote Republican; this is, if Obama had not run. “Let it fall”, I thought, “F it”, cause when everyone is scrambling around on the ground looking for a quarter, then maybe they’ll get some sense. “I hate em all anyway, these misappropriating bastard legacy holders.”

Sometimes, I am not so sorry when things like this happen, although it may sound perverse, because so many of us need to be slapped and told “wake up damn you, wake up!!!!” Ahh, but who am I kidding ? They are still asleep, I’m sure.
Well here's some good news -- and Lord knows we could all use some. The NY Post issued an apology -- tepid as it might be. And on MSNB the consensus is that the editor in chief who approved the cartoon is moving back to Australia and the cartoonist will probably be out of work. Until hell freezes over.

That's the power of the people's voice.
V.J., you and Dahmin both make such brilliant points. My,,… Oh My. What did Marvin sing ?: "Oh mercy, mercy me.........oh, things ain't what they used to be.........overcrowded (uhmm blah, blah)....fish float in mercury…..blah, blah, blah. I loved Marvin, and Donny Hathaway. Everyone needs to get John Legend-------oh what a beautiful singer; you could easily just fall in love with him just listening to his voice. He’s not gay is he ? The story of my life,…..bah humbug!!!!! Why did I bring this up ? Just seemed like someone needed to sing something while you profound thinkers ponder. Oh, and Aretha----Let it Be, and why did I just think of Aretha’s song: “ain’t no way for me to love you,…if you won’t let me”. Sounds like black people.

Can't never leave out Aretha when you talking bout something profound, which is why Obama had her sing at his inauguration. He understands blackness all too well, only as a black person would,---- for people to have the gall to say he ain’t black. And now he is experiencing hatred in the same manner as our ancestors. He black enough now ????. I agree with both of you.

It’s a good thing that there were some repercussions. I wouldn’t trust it though….not for a moment, let alone two. Sound like the “nappy headed hoe” situation. There is indeed the basis for legal action against the Post; they have violated civil rights legislation-------------lawyers on the site would know. There are a class of actions in which private parties can be brought up to pay penalties because their business interests fits within…………….guess what ? Won’t tell.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

IMPORTANT ALERTS

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! 

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE CHANGING YOUR PROFILE  PICTURE, SWITCH TO EITHER CHROME BROWSWER OR FIREFOX. THERE IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH INTERNET EXPLORER THAT CAUSES TROUBLE CHANGING PICTURES.

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN IN WITH FACEBOOK IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT. YOU WILL CREATE A DUPLICATE THAT WILL NOT HAVE YOUR INFO CONNECTED. THANKS

NO SPAMMING

Please do not greet everyone on the site with large images and/or announcements of your book or business. Yes, you want to tell the world, but learn the fine art of subtlety. We have lost numerous members because of the amount of 'friend' mail they instantly receive. This Hurts Everyone.

Also, DO NOT post the same information multiple times throughout the site. It will be deleted without notice.

Spam is unsolicited advertising, whether it is posted as comments on other members' pages or is emailed for marketing purposes.

Please be considerate. Post your advertisement in the proper Articles/Forum or Group. There are inexpensive marketing channels that reach every member for just $25 on the Advertising tab. You can post your information on your profile and even update your blog as often as you like.

We are not into censorship, so please don't make us ask you to leave. Be kind and unselfish - don't spam.

Your Account Will Be Deleted Without Warning For Spam.

Blog Posts

February Twenty-One...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 21, 2019 at 5:30am 0 Comments

Pointing to the Hill

Tradition and history is embedded deep within the royal roots of Prairie View A&M University. When we stand for the school’s official song we ” Point to the Hill”. The Hill in which is the highest point in the Waller County area.

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, Women's Rights…

Continue

Dorothy Vaughn...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 21, 2019 at 5:00am 0 Comments

Portrait of Dorothy Vaughan Credits: Courtesy Vaughan Family

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, NASA, Women's Rights, Women in Science

Date of Birth: September 20, 1910

Hometown: Kansas City, MO…

Continue

February Twenty...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 20, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Destination Preeminence: Aggies DO!

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, Women's Rights

North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University

North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is an academic community focused on students—providing them with interdisciplinary learning opportunities, teaching them with faculty renowned for excellence, connecting them to cutting edge discoveries in research, and…
Continue

Dr. Percy L. Julian...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 20, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Percy Julian in the Minshall Laboratory at DePauw University during his tenure as a research fellow. Courtesy DePauw University Archives.

Topics: African Americans, Chemistry, Civil Rights, Diversity in Science, Education, History, Human Rights

In 1935, in Minshall Laboratory, DePauw alumnus Percy L. Julian (1899-1975)…
Continue

February Nineteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 19, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

April D. Ryan - American Urban Radio Network, CNN White House Correspondent, Morgan State University Alumni Photo - Central Jersey Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta: "The Presidency in Black and White: My Up Close View of the White House and Race in…
Continue

From Dark To Missing...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 19, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

An artist's depiction of the filaments of gas that fill intergalactic space, with an inset chart of how those filaments interact with X-rays from a quasar. Credit: Copyright Illustration: Springel et al. (2005); Spectrum: NASA/CXC/CfA/Kovács et al.

Topics: Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology, Dark Matter, Women in Science…

Continue

February Eighteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 18, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Morehouse Alumni), Coretta Scott King and Yolanda King

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, Women's Rights

Miles School of Law…

Continue

National Society of Black Physicists...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 18, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

President Obama, Bill Nye, Myth Busters and members of NSBP (from homepage)

Topics: Diversity, Diversity in Science, NSBP, Women in Science

By the…
Continue

February Seventeen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 17, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Meharry Medical College - Instagram

Livingstone College…

Continue

February Sixteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 16, 2019 at 5:40pm 0 Comments

Violet Lewis, founded of Lewis Business College, and the first location on Indiana Street in Indianapolis.

LeMoyne College…

Continue

The Digital Brothers Multimedia

The Digital Brothers
Our goal is to provide cost effective technological solutions for home, small and big business. After over 20 years of service working in this field, we decided to utilize our talents to develop and cultivate our own vision to benefit the community.
2D & 3D Animation
Graphic & Web Design
Photo & Video
Multimedia Development
Online & Print Marketing

Contact Us Today To Assist In Your Business Success
Email: info@thedigitalbrothers.com

THE UNDERGROUND BY ROXANNE BLAND

Life as alpha of a werewolf pack is anything but predictable. But even Parker Berenson is surprised by the latest twist: he’s fallen in love with a space alien. Problem is, he suspects Melera, his sexy new flame, might be the serial killer terrorizing Seattle. Or maybe she isn’t. After all, just because she’s an interstellar assassin doesn’t mean she’s guilty.

http://blackrosepress.com/

© 2019   Created by Jarvis Sheffield - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service