Hello Everyone, 

The management of Black Science Fiction Society is ever grateful for you joining and being part of our web community. 

We want to know in your own words what Black Science Fiction Society has done for you. 

Give us your testimonial regarding your positive experience here. 

It is important to for us to know what were are doing right so that we keep doing that and improve at it where possible.

Views: 402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is truly Zion in a matrix of reality ...Noah's ark! Peace!

When I joined here everything was normal at first... And then a rift in the time space continuum created a rupture in the echo matrix causing me to devolve into a primordial state and now I can't read or write anymore!

I used to be a world class thespian that could bellow out ghetto poems like a true Shakespearian but now I am just a shell of my former literate self!

To make matters worse I used the BSFS dot com washroom on the second floor and caught a xeno virus that instantaneously cloned me so now there is some fool out there claiming to be my evil twin raising havoc in primary colored feet pajamas and a billowy cape ranting about destroying my life from within by framing me for ish I aint even do!

I mean like warn a brotha if there are random alien attacks from the nether regions that could singe an afro or two from the blue or that the deeto mite population could infest your assigned BSFS dot com locker with embryonic larva that spontaneously combust hatch and consume your soul provided that you have not sprayed yourself with nictite carbon HL repellant!

Other than that this place has been nice so far but you just have to be on your toes all day every day in case stuff happens! Lol

Could use some potpourri to liven the place up and maybe a spider plant here or there... Clean up on aisle 10 Beyotches!

I've always liked the space movies and TV shows, but not high technology as a backdrop to the same old conversation. I never liked being terrorized by aliens whose appearance just served to exaggerate deep fears. Neanderthals in space looking to conquer something, wars and alien sex. Well yeah, we already got that.

My wonder is about why we settled for the Flintstone/Jetson compromise and why Syd Mead (future visionary) is not talked about more? OK, he's a white guy. How do we as Black people see the future in the material, the social and the mental?

BSFS is a good space to explore and exercise those visionary avenues. Think about the advance in consciousness from 50 years ago and today, what about the next 50 years, and beyond. BSFS is a good space.

The Black Science Fiction Society has given me a forum to talk about one of my favorite subjects with people of my own culture. I do lots of Sci-Fi Conventions an even then, conversation with my peers are far and few in between. They have also hooked me up with Amazon, who, so far, are responding favorably to some of my material. 

This is the ONLY site that puts Me in contact with a society of brilliant people of color. To converse on a higher level is so rewarding. Not to mention the potential to network, and opportunities to encourage others and cheer for their success. That's the fun part. Through BSFS We can build and do a lot, without going outside for help. I've made a number of connections with individuals, on various sites, and I always refer them to here, because I understand that all we have, and need is one another. Finding BSFS gives me inspiration, in its own way. 

So glad to know that you've found a home, here!

I concur Penelope!!

I love being around people who celebrate our rich heritage through sci fi and fantasy. They show me that the stories that I am writing that feature black folks as heroes are not weird or without an audience. And I'm steered towards the latest stories, books and reads centered around black characters. Love it. Love it. Love it.

BSFS proves that black American SF is alive, well, and moving upward toward exposing the presence and quality of SF writers of the African Diaspora. It is connecting me not only with this reality, but the fact that others are out there who wish to show that blacks are indeed interested in the near and far-off future, and that they are as eager to be shapers and makers in human potential as anyone else!

This deserves superior praise and even more support!

Here's the deal. Ever since I was a young teenager, I've been into science fiction. I used to stay up late Saturday nights with my dad to watch sci fi shows that would play on random local networks. I watched all of the Star Wars movies multiple times by myself and with friends. I enjoyed the Matrix at a family friend's house on VHS. This was before I knew about sequels coming out. I enjoyed the Matrix so much that I used to roleplay it online in a group. The Matrix Reloaded was cool, but the Matrix Revolutions ending made me mad.

I would watch Star Trek: Deep Space Nine every afternoon after school (since it was syndicated) and Voyager every week when it was on the old UPN (now the CW). This may sound horrible to some Trekkies, but I liked Deep Space Nine more than Next Generation. I even watched old episodes of the original Star Trek and the Enterprise series. The worst thing they did was stopped making Star Trek episodes for TV. The new movies are great, but it's a part of American culture to have new Star Trek episodes on TV weekly. Period. But that's another rant for another time.

I watched some Toonami and Adult Swim at friends' houses and really liked the Gundam series. In college, my roommate had the entire DVD series of Cowboy Bebop plus the movie. So we watched that a few times. Also in college I had a best friend and we figured out how to download subbed anime series using Bittorrent through our college's network. We felt like super cool hackers who were up on everything (apologies to any IT people who we irritated). I read a good share of sci fi and fantasy books as well. I chuckle at all of these celebrities who openly now speak of anime and sci fi and comic books. I still remember the time when it wasn't cool to admit that you liked sci fi and comic books and anime, when it was still fringy and uncool.

However, there was a problem for me. I liked a lot of the science fiction but there were so few characters that I could relate to. That's not to take away from the quality work that is out there. But I kept wondering, "Where are the brothers and sisters in sci fi? Don't we want to jet off into the future as well? Can't we be technology masters as well? Can't the brother get the woman of his dreams and be a billionare?" And even most of the other people who were into sci fi that I knew did not look like me, so they didn't understand. I traveled around the internet for years and years searching. I secretly saw myself writing my own stories centered around people who looked and felt like me. People who had desires and dreams like me, who wanted to shape the future. But who was there to help encourage me, besides my parents?

Then I came out of the desert sands to the oasis known as the Black Science Fiction Society. Just being around such a diverse group of people who get me and the unique experiences that we share as being part of the Black Diaspora got my juices flowing. BSFS makes me want to write stories and take a chance. So I'm writing several short stories right now, hoping to get at least one published. Thanks for the encouragment and the passion to share.

Clifton, this was a great reply, and one that echoes much of what many of us feel about BSFS. Welcome aboard, sir. I look forward to seeing your work and contributions!

Before BSFS I thought i was alone in liking in this stuff. Sure, there was the occasional dude you run across in school, maybe every few years, but for the most part, no one I knew was talking about it, interested in it, or having anything to d with it. I remember a long long time ago, when I was just starting animation, my cousin asked me, "Why don't you draw any black characters?" My thought was, "Who's going to buy that?"

Interestingly, that same cousin introduced me to Brotherman comics a couple years later.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

IMPORTANT ALERTS

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! 

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE CHANGING YOUR PROFILE  PICTURE, SWITCH TO EITHER CHROME BROWSWER OR FIREFOX. THERE IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH INTERNET EXPLORER THAT CAUSES TROUBLE CHANGING PICTURES.

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN IN WITH FACEBOOK IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT. YOU WILL CREATE A DUPLICATE THAT WILL NOT HAVE YOUR INFO CONNECTED. THANKS

NO SPAMMING

Please do not greet everyone on the site with large images and/or announcements of your book or business. Yes, you want to tell the world, but learn the fine art of subtlety. We have lost numerous members because of the amount of 'friend' mail they instantly receive. This Hurts Everyone.

Also, DO NOT post the same information multiple times throughout the site. It will be deleted without notice.

Spam is unsolicited advertising, whether it is posted as comments on other members' pages or is emailed for marketing purposes.

Please be considerate. Post your advertisement in the proper Articles/Forum or Group. There are inexpensive marketing channels that reach every member for just $25 on the Advertising tab. You can post your information on your profile and even update your blog as often as you like.

We are not into censorship, so please don't make us ask you to leave. Be kind and unselfish - don't spam.

Your Account Will Be Deleted Without Warning For Spam.

Blog Posts

February Fifteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 15, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Image Source: Lawson State Community College (link below)

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, Women's Rights

Knoxville College…

Continue

Apathy, Crises and Zappa...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 15, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Image Source: Five Thirty Eight blog

Topics: Civics, Civil Rights, Existentialism, Politics

So what exactly is a constitutional crisis? We should be clear about what does — and, more importantly, does not…
Continue

February Fourteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 14, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Johnson C. Smith - The Division of Government Sponsored Programs and Research inducted seven students into its Ronald E. McNair Scholars program. This year’s theme is “Defying Gravity: Launching Scholars Academic Success.”

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Human Rights, Women's Rights

Jarvis…

Continue

Semper Fidelis...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 14, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Topics: Mars, NASA, Opportunity, Planetary Exploration, Spaceflight

NASA's Opportunity Mars rover was built to operate for just 90 days, but kept going for 15 years. NASA officially declared it dead on Wednesday, and its last message to scientists before it went dark eight months ago is getting a lot of attention.

The rover spent a decade and a half sending data bursts, not words, but according to…
Continue

February Thirteen...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 13, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Huston-Tillotson University

Huston–Tillotson University is a historically black university in Austin, Texas, United States. The school is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, the United Church of Christ, and the United Negro College Fund. Huston–Tillotson University established in 1881. The University is a member of the Red River Athletic Conference (RRAC). Their colors are maroon and white & their…
Continue

Anthony "Tony" Mitchell...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 13, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Anthony "Tony" Mitchell

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Education, Electrical Engineering, NSBE

“The 2019 BEYA Selection Committee, supported by the Council of Engineering Deans of Historically Black Colleges and Universities and our lead sponsor Lockheed Martin Corporation, have invested in me the authority to…
Continue

The Talented Tenth Saga----PLEASE DONATE

Posted by Christopher Love on February 12, 2019 at 9:17pm 0 Comments

The Talented Tenth Saga will be an 8 issue, limited run comic book series and film.  This series is unique for many reasons.

• First of all, it will feature real people versus hand drawn or CGI characters. This is why actors and actresses will be sought.
  • Secondly, the main characters in the world of The Talented Tenth Saga will be diverse as the world we live in.
  • And lastly, all 8 issues will be given out for free and can be read at beauty shops, barber shops, schools, libraries and other organizations in local communities starting in Madison County, Alabama and beyond. The film will be uploaded to YouTube and other platforms for free to enjoy and view.

The comic book can be downloaded on IndyPlanet.com

Please support this project.

https://www.ioby.org/project/talented-tenth-saga

Everyone Deserves Heroes That Look Like THEM…

Continue

February Twelve...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 12, 2019 at 6:30am 0 Comments

Image Source: Howard University Instagram

Harris-Stowe State University…

Continue

Dr. Mark Dean...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 12, 2019 at 6:00am 0 Comments

Dr. Mark Dean - Biography.com

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Computer Science, Education, Electrical Engineering

Computer scientist and engineer Mark Dean is credited with helping develop a number of landmark…
Continue

February Eleven...

Posted by Reginald L. Goodwin on February 11, 2019 at 5:44am 0 Comments

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. visits Fort Valley State College, 1966. Pictured standing next to President Troup (middle).

Fort Valley State University…

Continue

The Digital Brothers Multimedia

The Digital Brothers
Our goal is to provide cost effective technological solutions for home, small and big business. After over 20 years of service working in this field, we decided to utilize our talents to develop and cultivate our own vision to benefit the community.
2D & 3D Animation
Graphic & Web Design
Photo & Video
Multimedia Development
Online & Print Marketing

Contact Us Today To Assist In Your Business Success
Email: info@thedigitalbrothers.com

THE UNDERGROUND BY ROXANNE BLAND

Life as alpha of a werewolf pack is anything but predictable. But even Parker Berenson is surprised by the latest twist: he’s fallen in love with a space alien. Problem is, he suspects Melera, his sexy new flame, might be the serial killer terrorizing Seattle. Or maybe she isn’t. After all, just because she’s an interstellar assassin doesn’t mean she’s guilty.

http://blackrosepress.com/

© 2019   Created by Jarvis Sheffield - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service