I was able to attend the Harlem Book Festival on Saturday and had a great time. Admittedly, I didn't attend to buy, but to network and scope out the authors in the area. Of course I did end up buying some nonfiction:)However, I did notice one thing. Nearly all the books looked the same. I was floored. Every plot involved either a hustler or a gold digging hustler's wife, or a kingpin, or a gang member. Each and every glossy cover featured a scantily clad sista wearing furs and/or diamonds beneath the moonlit backdrop of some housing project.I did manage to ask one of the authors how business went and if she'd recommend getting a table next year. She said it was well worth it; though agressive tactics were needed to set you apart. She rated the day's sales a 7 out of 10.After witnessing this, I have several questions for everyone. Is it possible to lure the urban fiction fans to fantasy/sci-fi? How do you think a sci-fi or fantasy book would have fared at one of these festivals? Has anyone ever had an experience? Do folks even know we exist? Though I'm a huge fan, I've noticed how hard it is to locate our books ... heck, I found this site by chance (thanks Carole :).

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –