Creative Mistakes in Film

Well, yesterday I sat down to watch Ghosts of Mars. I kept thinking, "What a terrible mistake the director and the filmmaker made!" That hasn't happened in a long time. Usually I let stuff go. But this film irked me for two reasons. The first: the plot of the story was set in a frame of the "survivor" telling a court about the "past" events that had occurred. So essentially, the viewer already knows that everyone she saw in the movie would not survive. It only leaves us watching a movie where we think, "Is there a surprise ending at the end? Did survivor become one of them?" There was no pulling for any of the heroes because we know who died. Half the fun of these horror/SF/slasher pics is not knowing who will survive. The other problem was that so much of the story was "telling." Especially in the beginning. The heroine/survivor couldn't be every and since the story is told through her POV she kept meeting folks in the first part of the story who "told her" what had happened to them. Honestly! Isn't a good horror flick supposed to be omni or at least multi-person POV? I'm still wondering why they did this.The last time I saw a movie where I thought the director had made a totally wrong choice was Glory where we have a white main character but everything but everything in the story is about the black soldiers. I suppose they did this because they wanted to tell the story about a white general. But honestly, they picked the wrong POV character.Have you seen any films -- films only, not books-- that just made you think the film-makers made a stupendously bad choice? -C

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –