Black men and the Color Purple

Fellas, how many of you have read the Color Purple?I was talked into going to see the movie when I was 18 with a girlfriend.... and I was never so offended in my life. I was shocked that no one spoke out about the buffoonish and tyrannical depictions of black men. And at the time I couldn't understand why someone would write such a thing. Then I found out that Alice Walker was a feminist lesbian, she was also married and had children with a white guy.Then it all started to make Sense.But here is my bone to pick:In the 90's when gangsta rap was popular, everyone from Oprah Winfrey to C. Delores Tucker raged and railed against NWA, 2Pac and Snoop Dogg, (along a entire assortment of talentless, 2nd and 3rd tier "talents"), and in deed made black men feel guilty about it too... but at the same these same women revered the Color Purple (Oprah brought it to Broadway).Could you imagine, the uproar from Black Women, (and rightly so), if Russell Simmons bought "Bitches aint Shit but Hoes and Tricks" to the Big White Way?

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –