On the Favorite Director question in this group’s Profile form, one name comes up consistently: Spike Lee. Arguably, Lee is the most significant black film director to emerge since Oscar Micheaux and Gordon Parks. For more than 20 years, the goateed Gothamite has entertained, bewildered and outraged audiences with films ranging from She’s Gotta Have It to Malcolm X to Girl 6. But as far as I know, he’s never made a science fiction or fantasy film – unless you want to count Bamboozled, which was surreal, among other things.The idea of making an SF movie ought to be right up Spike’s alley. He could come up with his own story, or he could adapt the work of a growing cadre of black writers in the genre. Imagine Spike Lee doing for one of us what Peter Jackson did for Lord of the Rings.The question is: which black speculative-fiction novel should Lee adapt, if the idea ever crosses his mind?What about Octavia Butler’s classic, Wild Seed? Doro the mind master would be quite the challenge for Lee to cast and direct. On the other hand, he could have a field day with the special effects involved in Anywanyu’s shape-shifting.That’s my choice. What’s yours?

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –