CB'S POV: SFTV (The 2008-2009 Season)

Should we start considering cop shows as SF shows? Arguably, you could solve the crimes on Numb3rs without the "beautiful mind" graphics, but without the science component, would there even be a Bones or a CSI: Anything? Even "old school" cops on shows like the Law & Order series are heavily dependent on medical examiner’s reports, crime lab results, forensic accountants and techs at the "computer lab" tracing cell phone signals, reconstructing hard drive data, and so on.The biggest disappointment this season is the apparent preference for "familiar" material over shows that either pushed or redefined established formats. So domestic dramas and "reality" programs were favorites while shows with more unconventional storytelling were axed (Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies). Life on Mars had a truly intriguing premise but totally blew it in the (premature) series finale, the biggest WTF moment since Bobby stepped out the shower on Dallas. (In fact, it was the exact same WTF moment.) The only consolation is that its time slot rival and fellow British import, the always-bland Eleventh Hour, was also canceled.We said goodbye to Stargate SG1, I think—with erratic syndication schedules, it's hard to tell. (It may still exist as the upcoming (or is it already on?) Stargate Universe or whatever it's being called.) We lost the current incarnation of Dr. Who and we said farewell to the surprisingly successful run of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. The show definitely raised the bar for televised SF: it had unmatched production values (the unseen heroes were the cinematographers, editors and set designers), and great acting and writing—but dialogue should not be confused with plot. For me, it's a mixed legacy: Groundbreaking? Qualified yes. Genre re-defining? Not really. And with time, it doesn't seem quite as "cool" as it was when we were constantly being told how cool it was.Some shows I admit I watched at one remove, that is, I know about them from what I've read than what I've seen. I never really got into the whole Heroes phenomenon, but it seemed to me it was kinda turning into X-Men Lite. Lost lost me a long time ago, although I understand the season finale was r-e-a-l-l-y "out there." I regret not keeping up with Eureka, the only other decent original programming on Sci-Fi.The most pleasant surprise for me this year was Fringe, which despite some major plot discrepancies and inconsistencies (just how much crap was Walter into "back in the day?") caught on with its reverse X Files format. The most unpleasant surprise was the cancellation of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which displayed some of the most inventive storytelling on broadcast TV this season. Due to the expense of producing a show like this, it is unlikely it will be picked up by another network, although there may be a "let's wrap this up" movie in the offing. Verdict is still out on Dollhouse.24’s season was better than average but not one of Jack’s standout days. It was fun to watch because it was originally supposed to be the last season and they tried to both apologize for and justify Jack’s antics over the last decade (the series debuted in 2001!). They did a good job of both, and Keifer Sutherland has committed to at least one more year.There’s one summer series, The Listener, about a guy who can read minds (so shouldn’t it be The Reader?) and the long anticipated BSG “prequel” Caprica this fall, as well as a BSG tie-in movie. Medium goes from NBC to CBS, and we go on hoping that this will be the year the next great thing comes along.Well, maybe next year.

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –