Waku was a prince of the Bantu nation, located in the hidden depths of South , whose adventures presumably occur either the 19th or 20th centuries. Waku's father was Kaba, the chief of the tribesmen of Bantu, but on Kaba's deathbed he forced Waku to swear that he will never use violance to lead their people. He should instead be an enlightened and gentle leader. Waku swore to this, wanting to honor his father's deathbed wish.

This proved troublesome, for on his father's death Waku became Chief of the Bantu. To retain the title he had to prove his worth, but this meant fighting and defeating the strongest of their young men. Waku refused, which angered the Bantu, and they casted him out. His rival, Mabu, seized the opportunity and became the chief of the Bantu, first by fighting the other Bantu as Waku was supposed to, and then by claiming that he had killed a mad elephant that had been terrorizing the Bantu village. (Waku was actually responsible for the kill, using one "well-aimed spear" thrust.) Mabu, once in control, directed the Bantu to hunt for the white hunters, which Waku objected to, as the illegal hunters had been after his father to get them cheap hunters and they were refused.

The Bantu were worked as slaves for a month, with Mabu growing rich and the tribe being treated abominably, but on the night of the one month anniversary of Kaba's death the tribe gathered around the campfire worshiping Kaba's memory. Lalei, Waku's beloved, put on Kaba's robe and headdress and told the Bantu of the oath Waku took; she was eavesdropping during Kaba's death and heard everything. The Bantu then made a move to overthrow Mabu. Waku, who was listening and watching from the trees, jumped down and challenged Mabu. They fought, and Waku threw Mabu into the campfire. The Bantu proclaimed Waku chief, but he said no, "I have broken an oath to my father...and the spirit of the fire must claim me now!" Lalei did not want him to go, and vowed to walk with him into the fire.

Kaba then appeared from the flames and released Waku from his vow. Waku gladly accepted the role of "Prince of the Bantu."

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –