So . . . Let's Get to Writing!

One of the many things that get me on my soapbox is hearing about another story with fairies and elves. These sprites don't look or even think like me - they are truly foreign. Don't get me wrong here, I goobled up all that I could read as a child - The Brothers Grimm, Aesop's fables (never once noticing a clue that Aesop was indeed an African), Robin Hood, King Arthur and that blankety-blank sword - and I loved every one of them.

I knew very well the princess was not like me- she let down her golden hair, but I read on. I loved the tales of Asgaard, moved on to the comics and cheered for that thunderous god Thor. Even today I follow Harry Potter to the end reveling in the creativity of the story.

NOW I'M DARNED TIRED! Can't we think of African sprites? Can we not design and create a world with our own legends? I especially wish to read more historical-based fantasy based in Africa. No more blonde, flying fairies that grant the wishes of the occasional character of color. GIVE ME A NAPPY HEADED FAIRY WITH FLAVA!!!

Okay. I suppose this has turned into a minor rant, but can you see what I'm getting at? We have to write it. Nalo and Charles and Carole and Oz and Ed cannot be alone. There are worlds that need creating - now.

You need to be a member of Blacksciencefictionsociety to add comments!

Join Blacksciencefictionsociety

Email me when people reply –